24 October 2013

Searching For The Good Life


A few weeks ago, in a fit of generosity, I treated Shazzie to a greenhouse. Nothing too elaborate or expensive, just a a basic 6'x4' made from aluminium and polycarbonate. Since it got delivered its been sitting under our rear porch waiting to be erected. So okay I thought, just how difficult can it be? 

How its meant to look

Our garden already had a suitable site, lots of sunshine, level and firm that required no preparation. So I sat down with a cup of PG and read through the instructions. 16 pages and 23 steps later I was still scratching my head trying to get to grips with the odd wording and dodgy diagrams.


I'm going to need plenty of these.


Preparation is the key my old headmaster used to tell me, So I cleared a space in the garage and made sure that I had all the tools needed to hand. Screws, bolts and fixings all decanted into a small tub and the parts laid out ready to be identified as required. Lacking any further reason to delay the start I turned to page 1, the door. If you've read this far without losing the will to live I suspect you may be expecting a tale of twisted metal and cracked panels. Not so dear reader, the door went together fairly well and was soon complete and placed to one side ready for installation when required. What I did realize was that this was not going to be a quick job, more like 2 or 3 days of concerted effort.

Surely it can't be that hard?

Even after enlisting the assistance of my neighbour and chum Keith from over the road, by mid afternoon we only had the base and 2 sides constructed. But so far so good, nothing has been broken or damaged and there are no parts missing.

Dog tired

Day 2 of the big build will commence later. Back to work tomorrow so hopefully it'll be just about finished.

Update: 17.00 and its complete and in situ, all that remains is for it to be fixed to the ground. Better get that done a bit sharpish given the storms forecast for next week! My hands are sore and my back aches but its a good feeling to have done something reasonably well. Shazzie is very happy, already planning what she is going to grow and where the radio is going to be!

The finished item.


No comments:

Post a Comment