10 January 2012

Making a Difference

Its the smallest things that make the difference. Last night at work, after pulling into London Waterloo for the second time, an elderly couple that had gotten off my train took the time and trouble to say thank you. I managed a quick 'you're welcome' in reply as they passed by on their way to the exit barriers. Maybe its because they come from from a different generation that they took the time to express their gratitude but it was very much appreciated.

The vast majority of passengers barely acknowledge those around them let alone the train crew. They cocoon themselves in a world of earplugs and mobile phones and shy away from anybody who might intrude in their personal space. Perhaps if they took the time to smile or greet fellow travellers and staff their commute or journey might be that bit better.

We probably communicate more now than we ever did thanks to mobile phones and I imagine more inanity passes through the airwaves than at any time in the history of our planet. I wouldn't mind a pound for every time I've heard someone say into their phone 'I'm on the train' as if its imperative that the wife/husband/lover knows their every movement.

Train driving is a solitary occupation with lengthy periods being spent alone and even the briefest interaction away from the driving cab is welcome. That old couple certainly brightened up my day and I hope the rest of their journey home or to wherever they were going was smooth. 


2 comments: