21 January 2012

The Ladies Walk

When we moved to Andover in September 2006 we had little knowledge of the local area and probably should have done more research than we did. Fortunately we haven't encountered any drawbacks worth mentioning, in fact the move has turned out to be the best thing Sharon and I have done.

Our house is literally 2 minutes casual stroll away from open fields and a public footpath that forms part of the southern boundary of the town. The Ladies Walk was laid out as a recreational walk by the town council in 1785 after the Enclosure Acts of the 18th century took away common lands. 

Bailey
The Walk is a place of great natural beauty with many magnificent trees to admire and views across the town to the north and west taking in Salisbury plain and one of the ridgeways in the distance. Last year I joined the 'Love Where you Live' campaign and now as Bailey and I perambulate around I take a litter picker and a carrier bag and pick up other peoples detritus. Keeping the path and its surrounds free of cans,bottles, crisp packets and whatever else is dropped by those who care not enough is a slight burden when compared to the pleasure I derive from the surroundings.

Looking East

Looking West

Looking North

Most people I meet are complimentary and laud my efforts but I have had one or two strange reactions. A couple of weeks ago a chap walking his dog in the opposite direction said 'Wotcha doing that for mate?'. I explained as I always do that I enjoy The Walk and like to keep it free of rubbish as I go around. 'Bloody 'ell' he replied, 'wastin' your bleedin' time, ain't that what we pay Council Tax for?' and walked off shaking his head. It takes all sorts!

The Iron Bridge
Tomorrow I shall be joining in a scrub clearance event on the southern side of The Walk. Waste land below the treeline is being returned to pasture and Dexter cattle will be grazed there after its been fenced in, still with gates for public access though. I expect to be aching all over by the time its done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment